5.02.2012

Shelly's Carrot Birthday Cake

I've never made Carrot Cake before. I had to do some research. I combined a unique blend of different variations I've seen and created this scrumptious beauty.  The best part is the birthday girl loves Carrot Cake and absolutely loved it! Along with everyone else. This cake should come with a warning label. Thank God for self control because my taste buds were on a quite enjoyable sugar trip on this bad mama. Haha!


Shelly's Carrot Birthday Cake


3 Eggs
3/4 cup Buttermilk
3/4 cup Canola Oil
1 1/2 cups Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla Exctract
2 tsp. Cinnamon ( Mmmmm..Cinnamon)

1/4 tsp. Salt
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda

2 cups Shredded Carrots
1 8oz. Can Crushed Pineapple..juice and all
1 cup Walnuts, Chopped
1 cup Raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350. Prep 9x13 pan by spraying with non stick and dusting with flour. Set aside.

2. In medium bowl, sift dry ingredients together.

3. In separate larger mixing bowl beat eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Then add dry ingredients and give that a good mix.

4. Add carrots to mixture. Make sure they mingle a bit then add pineapple. Continue mixing then add the raisins and nuts. Just the smell alone gets me excited. Mmmmmm.

Pop in oven and bake for 1 hour. Let cool completely before frosting.  I just did butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar.

2 pkgs Cream Cheese
1 stick of butter
3 cups of powdered sugar ( adjust more or less to your sweetness level)
1 tsp Vanilla extract

1. Give it a good mix and spread on cake and top with chopped nuts! Yummy!!


Since I've made this cake I've had other variations start brewing in my mind. Just give me a hungry man and a family so I can cook and feed daily. As I create and cook my mind tends to continue to explore different flavors from traditional and not so traditional to different cultures and merging together to make a great union. A union that could only tease and arouse all senses of enjoyment of food. Merging! I think that is my word! If you've seen "Eat, Pray & Love" then you'll know.



No comments:

Post a Comment