1.29.2012

Roasted Chicken & Cauliflower

I love Chicken! For its simplicity, comfort, lean qualities it holds and so versatile to take on any flavor. This was a simple oven roasted whole bird. Simply seasoned and roasted with the company of some Cauliflower Florette's. Chicken was moist and satisfying. The show stopper I have to say is the oven roasted Cauliflower. Dear goodness..why didn't we meet prior!


Roasted Chicken & Cauliflower


1 Whole Chicken 3-4 lbs
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Italian Seasonings
Ground Oregano
2 tsp. finely minced Garlic

First I split the chicken like this. Took back bone out. Gave the bird a wash under cold water. Then yes, I stood the chicken up and it danced for a bit. Kinda reminds me of Peter Gabriel video. Haha!

Then.....the magic begins..

1. Rub chicken skin side with olive oil. Then seasoned with the listed seasonings. No measurements except for the garlic. I seasoned underside also. You can get in between the skin and season as well. If I had more time I would have marinated or put in a brine prior but it was good just as is.

Say hello bird! You are about to roast and tan. Be thankful. I took you out of this winter ice cold. Just pretend you're on the beaches of Miami. Haha!

Bake @ 375 for about 2 hours. Typically they say 20 minutes per pound plus an extra 15 min added on. Should use a thermometer to make sure internal degree inner thigh is at 165 degrees. I like to cover with foil for the first half of cooking time then I remove. Once I take out of oven I cover back with foil where it continues to "carry over cooking". Let it set for 10 minutes covered before cutting so juices don't run out.

MMmmmm Yum!


Cauliflower:

1 head of Cauliflower (split into Florette's)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Sea Salt
Black Pepper

1. I lined a cookie sheet pan with foil. Placed Cauliflower on sheet, even layer and drizzled with oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper and drizzled tops with Balsamic Vinegar.

2. Baked at 400 for 30 minutes. The Vinegar will caramelize and parts of Cauliflower will get crunchy yet tender in the middle.

Dear Lord, thank you for letting me and this cauliflower cross paths. This is by far my most favorite alternative in having potatoes. I love me some good carbs..especially potatoes! This can easily take the place and I don't have the guilt. Much more healthier.

I would easily serve this also as a appetizer platter and a nice dip to go with it. I could have ate the whole head of Cauliflower. My goodness..I'm in LOOOOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment