11.27.2011

White Bean Chili

Chili definitely doesn't have to be with Red Kidney beans. So many varieties if you think outside the box. This is as easy as it gets for me. Minimal ingredients, hearty, packed with protein and fiber and a big punch of flavor and hotness.


White Bean Chili

1 lb. Lean ground beef ( Brown and break up meat)
1 medium White Onion (Dice)
2 heaping Tbsp. Minced Garlic
1/2 cup of Goya tomato sauce (Picante version...yes it was! It has jalapenos and chipotle in it)
1 can Diced tomatoes with green chilies
2 cans Great Northern White beans with juices (do not rinse)
1 Tbsp. of Penzey's Spices Chili 3000
2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Cumin Powder
1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper

Mmmm...I think that was about it
Wait..nope..1/2 tsp of ground Mustard

Now that was the last character of the dish!

1. Brown ground beef and break up as it cooks down. I bought a lean version so it had minimal fat to drain. I then added the garlic and onions and cooked that down for a minute or so stirring over medium low heat. Don't ever want beef sticking to bottom of pan. Texture changes and flavor too.

2. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans..juice and all! Give that a good stir so everyone gets acquainted together. Finally add all the spices. Continue stirring bring to a low simmer. Let it sit for about 20 minutes simmer and done! So quick and easy. You may let it sit longer simmering if need be.

You can top with Cheese...mmmm...Queso! Who doesn't like Cheese!!! Yum! I added Red Hot to mine and crushed Snyders of Hanover tortilla chips. I have to say them chips are so addicting! Actually any type of chip and dip or salsa makes me happy. I picked those because they seem a bit more healthier and lower in sodium than others I've noticed. I'm a fan of the blue corn tortilla chips too! Those are even better!

This definitely took the chill off and cleared my sinuses. I always say a good sign that a chili is good is if your nose starts running. Perfect amount of heat detector I call it. Haha!



No comments:

Post a Comment