8.14.2010

Zucchini Casserole

This was a recipe a regular customer at work shared with me. She got it out of a church cookbook. I altered it a bit, but I had to share it because it is incredibly good! Just the smell of the Bacon alone while baking is satisfying. The flavor is perfect!!!

Zucchini Casserole

3 Zucchinis, cut into chunks
1 Medium White Onion
1 cup of Instant Brown Rice (minute rice)
3 Medium Red Tomatoes, sliced
2-3 cups of sliced baby Bella Mushrooms
2 cups of Shredded Cheese (I had Monterey Colby Jack)
12 oz Bacon
dried basil
Parmesan Cheese
Seasoning ( I used Goya all purpose Adobo with Black Pepper in it)

1. Preheat oven @ 375. Spray 9x13 pan with nonstick spray. This is quite easy to assemble. Follow these layers in order.

Zucchini, Rice (uncooked), onions, Tomato slices, Mushrooms, Cheese, Sliced Bacon, Parmesan Cheese and Basil. In between each layer, I seasoned with a slight sprinkling of the adobo.

Then put in oven and back for 1 1/2 hours. Oh my goodness! I can't get over the smell and the taste.

This is a veggie lovers dream. You can switch up with Turkey Bacon, I think some hidden hot peppers would be good, with maybe a smoked gouda cheese, maybe add some couscous or orzo while your at it. I would precook the orzo a bit and add some broth if you do the couscous. The brown rice is perfect! Barley is another grain that is healthy. You can change this up so many ways. I thank Brenda for sharing and giving me an idea off of it. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment